Monday, January 16, 2006

Stolen



Yesterday was a very bad day. It started out great, a bunch of us had rented cars and drove to Viña del Mar and Reñaca for the weekend. I would post the pictures that I took (this one I just found on the internet), but but my camera was stolen...along with my wallet (cash and credit cards), cell phone, new eyeglasses and everything else that was in my little bag.

This happened about 15 minutes before we were leaving. I went to have something to drink at these little tables in the shade on the edge of the beach, and I ran into two of my friends and sat down to talk to them. I put my bag on the floor next to my feet and chair (yes...like an idiot). A few minutes later I realized the bag was gone, but none of us had noticed anything or anyone suspicious. By that time, the person who took it was long gone. Ironically, the reason I had so much important stuff in it is because it's not so safe to leave things in the car.

Anyway...the good news is that I still have my passport and one visa check card (which were at home in my apartment). I am v. thankful for that. I cancelled the other cards.

After it happened, I felt physically sick for awhile, but I think that was also partially due to my extreme sunburn (see...bad day all around). Today, I still am bummed but definitely feel much better than yesterday. (And I've pretty much stopped replaying the whole thing over and over in my head..."If I'd only done this..or this..., etc.") After all, it could have been worse, and it was a sobering wake-up call which will remind me to be vigilant at all times during the rest of this trip. Also...thanks to everyone that was with me for being so great and helpful and to Ames for helping me get money transferred from my wamu account to my bank1 one. I would have been a wreck w/o you guys.

One final thought: What is wrong with these people that steal things? Don't they know how mean it is? Get a real job.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concur. Stealing is very mean and a rather ego-centric way to obtain finances.

Anonymous said...

U R right, it is mean, mean mean! Obviously very self-centered because they have no idea how it might affect you! Maybe you're financially worse of than them?

Anonymous said...

It's no fun going anywhere when you always have to worry about something disappearing. I never understand stealing. They are not glamorous but with fanny packs you don't ever put them down! (I know spoken like a relative). Keep yourself together and still have fun, I will miss the pics tho.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry honey. My internet has been down at home all weekend so I couldn't check on your blog or email you. Hang in there. you certainly don't have luck with your wallet this past year. I'll email you soon. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Too bad Gia wasn't in your purse.

ooooooooooooooooohhhhh! I'm just kidding. She is fine. But we're still not talking.

Anonymous said...

ithought amy meant because gia would tear apart anybody that reached in there, but then she appologized and i figured out what she really meant.


gia hates me even though she's named after me.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your stolen stuff, Jorli. I hope the rest of your trip goes better. We miss you!

JB said...

Thanks for commenting you guys - you really made me feel better about this whole thing.

love,
Jor

Anonymous said...

I thought I told you never to go to Santiago Chile. If I was there I would have shouted... go find that theif and tell him I'm coming... and hell's coming with me.

Robert

Anonymous said...

Hey Jorli... I'm very sorry for your misfortune. It's things like that, combined with my lack of common sense and my adult ADD that keeps me from wanting to travel. I'm simply not that responsible and way too scared. Can't wait to see you back here, hon! Miss ya bunches! ~Chad