Friday, January 20, 2006

Inside the Mountain



(note: until I get a new camera, I will be posting pics from earlier in the trip, so they won't really match the current posting. These 2 were taken from my bedroom window here at diff times of day.)

Things are great here. I have pretty much recovered from the unfortunate events of last weekend...new eyeglasses, new chilean cell number (using my US phone too-it only cost $10 to get a chip that works here) and not so sunburned. Speaking of nasty sunburns...for those of you planning on visiting Chile sometime, there is a big ol' hole in the ozone layer down here, so much more sunblock is needed than normal. Yes...this certainly would have been useful information had I heard about it before last week. Ouch! Don't worry, now I lathering myself in sunscreen at all times.

Despite having a lot of homework (this week being our last and all!!), I've had so much fun. I have to say, you really can't beat the people here. They are wonderful. The other students have been showing us around quite a bit. Tonight I do planning on catching up on some sleep though.

A n y w a y. Today we went on a visit inside of the worlds largest mine. It's a copper mine that is on the inside of the Andes Mountains. Seriously, it was unreal. A lot of the mining is done with robots that are controlled with joy sticks. They let my friend Kelly operate it for awhile even. It looks just like a video game, except you are busting up giant rocks instead of playing Madden. I can't imagine a US company allowing some random person to control million dollar equipment, which is another thing I love about here. Not v. many rules.

Love the food too. I've become a big fan of the Chilean style of eating bread with butter and salsa. (They don't call it salsa, but it's pretty much exactly like pico de gallo.) Yum. Plus, there is really good meat everywhere, and I've never eaten so much fruit in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

meat. yum. best blog ever.

Anonymous said...

Jorli, I think you can eat bread with anything on it!