Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Word About Automatic Hand Dryers


I went to Japan last year, and although many things impressed me (e.g. the toilets are more advanced than NASA scientists could ever hope for), none so much as their automatic hand dryers. I was used to the US version, where you could hold your hands under them for a full 20 minutes and still not feel dry. But in Japan, they don't mess around. It's like mini hurricane at the press of a button. For this, I would consider swearing off paper towels forever.

So you can imagine my surprise and delight upon encountering not one, but two such hand dryers worthy of Japanese praise. Pictured above is the Xcelerator dryer I found in the bathroom of the White Plains Target store. (Incidentally, the White Plains Target store is by far my biggest vice of late.)

You can also find the Xcelerator in the bathroom of my favorite Mexican Restaurant in NYC, Tortilla Flats. Suffice to say, although I go there for the Margaritas (they sell by the pitcher!), the mole sauce and the pretty twinkling lights in the bar, I stay for the hand dryers.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

JB, I love those hand dryers too! I miss Japan!

Raj

Raclee said...

If you are ever back in Bloomington, check out the hand dryers at Asuka. We went there for an office lunch last week, and I thought the skin from my hands was going to blow off.

Anonymous said...

That's so funny. When I live in Japan, the toilets were in the ground. Of course, I lived "in the counrty". The cities in Japan are a whole other world.

Anonymous said...

How I long for the day when I encounter such a hand dryer! Do yo know if Tortilla Flats also has a restaurant in Santa Fe, New Mexico?

Anonymous said...

Since I can't just walk to the WP Target anymore, I'll have to experience those lovely dryers now that they're installed in Yogi's bathroom!

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Jor, I just had an encounter with said hand dryer. There is now one in the newly remodeled Barney's Beanery bathroom. It was fucking fantastic! I don't know what's more depressing, that I went to Barney's or that it is the only one I've ever seen.

;) Nat

Anonymous said...

Jor, I just encountered said hand dryer at Barney's Beanery. Fucking fantastic! Though I don't know what is the sadder statement, that I went to Barney's or that I had never seen one before.

;) Nat

The Rest Is Still Unwritten... said...

they have them at Coffee Shop in Union Square too. Along with a mean mojito. Not bad mean like it yells at you or something, but the good kind of mean as in will get you drunk. Ooh, do you like mojitos? I feel our first NYC outing coming on...